Friday, May 6, 2016

MWS UPDATE - DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS - May 2016

         DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS
The last few months the Project Manager (Wiliam)  and I have been consulting with professionals in the publishing industry (agents, houses, authors, etc.,).   The feedback has been interesting and at times a bit shocking for us.  We are hearing, "beautiful, interesting, magickal",  the shocker for me especially is hearing "too regional".  Even with our data reflecting national and international interest and thousands of views/hits via the MWS gallery on Performance Art Photography website, blog and Facebook pages (especially the gallery - a real "hit" you guys!).  
Being so surprised by the "regional" comments and feedback, William and I are now having to re-evaluate the direction and ultimate goals for MWS.  In fact, the entire project and it's intention is being reviewed and re-calibrated.  Confused yet?  Let me explain and get a bit more specific.
The professionals are saying that MWS is too regional, implying that the only interest/sales would be from Salemites and the surrounding areas.  Our data and numbers does not seem to sway this opinion.  The next possible direction and scenario for the project, in William's opinion (as well as mine), leads us to major decisions that will effect the future of MWS tremendously.  
Several sleepless nights later along with the feedback/opinions from MWS ladies, published photographers, artists and mentors we have streamlined and come up with the following possible scenarios.  The first being...MWS would become one chapter in a much larger and expanded version of the original concept...ie, other locations and women would be included and featured in the book.   Of course this scenario would cost mega bucks and several years before final compilation and publication.  That being said, I am reminded of the old saying, "what the God's and Goddess's have in mind is much bigger than you can ever imagine".  This in itself is haunting us throughout the decision process.  The second scenario would be to stick to the original concept and try to self publish MWS.  This means that I would have to sacrifice the "fine art" label and quality of the final product.  Please understand that my vision of the book is done by Master Printers (very few have the knowledge, equipment and ability to produce a book of this caliber).  I did consult with Christopher Penczak and Copper Cauldron Publishing and his response was that for a project like this, they just did not have the equipment to take on MWS - at this time. He concurred that MWS could only be produced/printed by a select few in the publishing industry.  This was certainly confirmation for me. 
If we should decide to produce MWS on a local level, even at a lower quality than my initial vision, it would still cost several thousand dollars. The photography books that I have seen around Salem that feature the historical sites/locations of interest...etc., etc., are not in the same league as those that I have photographed...even a novice can see the vast difference.  Please be clear, am I implying that I am this incredible world class photog?  No.  However, I do know for a fact that my advantage and "edge" is that I had other forces clearly working along with me and in my (and MWS) favor.  People will see this vast difference when the location shoots are revealed...they are sealed and have not been seen by anyone other than those working with me on MWS shoots around Salem. 
At this point we have to analyze the intentions and directions being made for MWS's future.  Scenario two would pacify the ladies of the project and some of the locals...is that why I would consider # two?  Number one is a much, much bigger project and would require an incredible amount of dedication, time, and not to mention dollars.  So...which is it?  Which path is the correct one?  Which one will please the Goddess? Which one will benefit the most people?  
Have we put aside all personal gain and considered what's best for the project?  

Those are the million dollar questions at this time.  
We shall see peeps...we shall see.  R :|


No comments:

Post a Comment