Sunday, August 28, 2011

Too, Too, Too Many Hurricanes!

As I sit here in the photo lab at school waiting for the cyber wizard (we are working on pr materials today), the thought of yet another hurricane in my life has really got me down.   Night before last at about 11pm I walked outside on to the front porch.  My mind was suddenly slammed with memories of my childhood in South Texas...due to the sound of the crickets...not just a few and not pleasantly singing.  Thousands of them, singing so loud that it was almost deafening!  This is a sound very familiar to me, but one that had been forgotten.  Alarm bells started going off like crazy.  Prepare ole' gal...prepare, there's a storm ah comin".

I remember in specific 3 cat 4-5's during my first 10 years of life.  The devastation was unbelievable.  Between the wind and mostly the WATER...life as I knew it had changed.  It was unbearably hot, humid, and miserable.  Shortly after these storms, people would get desperate and that's when the looting would begin and nobody was safe...hence JR's (my Father) guns.  I was not afraid of them though...he taught me to shoot at 9 - shooting water moccasins and cotton mouth snakes in the lake water.  It was the people I was afraid of.

Being so close to the ocean makes me very nervous because of my childhood...I have seen what WALLS of water look like and what they can do.  Having numerous conversations with folks in Salem about this...their response was always the same,"hurricanes don't come up here...the water is too cold."

Moving to the East Coast area a few years ago I thought I had escaped hurricanes for good.  My question is..."how 'bout those hurricanes that never come up here?"

Be safe everyone... :}




No comments:

Post a Comment